Marie-Thérèse Gannensagouas and a teaching companion at the mountain mission
The Mountain Mission, founded by the Sulpician François Vachon de Belmont at the foot of Mount Royal in 1675, was built for the purpose of converting and teaching French to the Amerindians. From 1676, The Sisters of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame lived among the Amerindians. They taught catechism to the Iroquois, Huron and Algonquin girls and had them perform small manual tasks. One of the first Amerindian girls of the Congregation, Marie-Thérèse Gannensagouas, taught there for fifteen years.