Marie Barbier (Marie de l'Assomption)
Superior from 1693 to 1698
Marie Barbier, named Marie de lAssomption, was baptized in Ville-Marie (Montreal) on May 1, 1663 and died there on May 19, 1739. She was received as a novice by the Congrégation de Notre-Dame in 1679. She was the first member of the Congregation born in Montreal. In 1685, with Sister Anne Meyrand, she opened a school in the Sainte-Famille parish in Île dOrléans. In 1686, at the request of Bishop de Saint-Vallier, she helped found the boarding school La Providence de la Sainte-Famille de Québec. Here, as in La Providence in Ville-Marie, women were given training in manual work. Marie Barbier returned to Île dOrléans in 1689 and to Ville-Marie in 1691. She succeeded Marguerite Bourgeoys as second Superior of the Congregation in 1693 and remained in office until 1698. She occupied several administrative positions as she continued to teach and work until her death.