Notarized copy of the contract of purchase for a plot of land on the Saint-Gabriel prairie signed on August 25, 1662 by Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve and Marguerite Bourgeoys
In 1662 Marguerite Bourgeoys obtained a concession in Pointe-Saint-Charles from Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve. This arable land provided crops for the community of the stable-school and for the newly purchased Maison Charly, while the commoning right included in the contract authorized the Congregation to use Saint-Pierre Prairie for pasturing animals. This first acquisition of a small plot of land in Saint-Gabriel Prairie was the beginning of the farm known today as Maison Saint-Gabriel. In September 1668, Marguerite Bourgeoys purchased from François Le Ber an adjacent piece of land on which stood a stone house. Led by Sister Catherine Crolo, activities at the farm began in earnest.