En route to found a mission
For many years, Msgr. Plessis, Bishop of Quebec and Msgr. MacDonell, Bishop of Kingston, had wished that the Sisters of the Congregation would establish themselves in Kingston, the city which was to become the capital of a United Canada. Two Sisters set up the Congregations first English-language school during this first venture in Upper Canada in 1841. The means of transportation were rudimentary at that time: it took three days for the Sisters to travel by stagecoach from Montreal to Kingston. The national capital from 1841 to 1843, Kingston, quickly lost its title to Montreal. Nevertheless, the Congregation was now firmly implanted in Ontario and would increase its presence there.