Institution founded in 1689, Château-Richer, Québec.
Château-Richer Convent is among the first missions of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame. In 1689, the sisters arrived in Château-Richer, in Notre-Dame-de-la-Visitation Parish, in order to provide education to the girls of the area. For several years, Sister Saint-Paul (Marie Bouchard), one the founders, and her companions lived in poor conditions. They had come at the request of Bishop François de Laval of Quebec, the owner of Côte-de-Beaupré seigneurie. In 1693, he ordered the construction of a spacious convent with a garden on a rocky point overlooking the Saint Lawrence River, near the town’s windmill. Made of stone, the two-storey convent was forty-five feet long by thirty feet wide. The story ends when British troops arrived in 1759. Alerted of the danger, Bishop de Pontbriand of Quebec ordered the sisters to escape to Ville-Marie. The convent was occupied for two days in August 1759 by a detachment of the Seventy-eighth Regiment of the Fraser Highlanders. When they left, they destroyed the building. The fire left very few traces of the time the Congrégation de Notre-Dame sisters spent in Château-Richer.
NB: This text was written using documents found in the archival holdings in our possession and does not constitute a complete administrative history of the teaching establishment.
Institution fondée en 1689
Dernière adresse : 7976, avenue Royale
Notez que nous ne sommes pas en mesure d'indiquer l'emplacement exact de ce bâtiment. Le lieu affiché est le plus précis selon nos connaissances actuelles.